What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines "Personal Information" broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number, or e-mail address. The types of Personal Information that NORTHAM may collect about you includes your name, home address, telephone number, personal email address, billing and account information, information about a your use of our real estate, either as a tenant or an employee, agent or invitee of a tenant, or as a service provider or agent or employee of a service provider and other information incidental to real estate services (including Personal Information about your location in or about, your movements in and about and use of our real estate). We may require all persons entering or on our real estate to identify themselves by electronic identity cards or by signing into registers. We may collect information about vehicles parked on our property including licence plate numbers. We have closed circuit cameras recording various areas of our real estate. Your image may be captured on these closed circuit cameras and stored by us.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, NORTHAM collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about you in order to provide our clients with real estate services and to maintain the security of our real estates and the people and property on our real estate. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to establish and manage client and tenant relationships. This may include the sharing of Personal Information by and between NORTHAM personnel and affiliated companies and partnerships for such purposes;
- to share Personal Information with third parties for the purpose of providing our services;
- to consider whether NORTHAM should establish a commercial relationship with tenants, clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- to establish and maintain commercial relationships with tenants, clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments, and to fulfil contractual obligations;
- to understand and respond to tenant, client, supplier and other third party needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with such parties and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide NORTHAM's products and services;
- to market, sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom NORTHAM has a commercial relationship;
- to distribute our newsletters, conference information, event information and invitations, greeting cards and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, including via third party mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
- to develop and manage our property management systems and databases;
- to develop and manage NORTHAM's business and operations;
- to detect and protect NORTHAM and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with NORTHAM policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving NORTHAM;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, NORTHAM may disclose your Personal Information to:
- service providers, including an organization or individual retained by NORTHAM to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services;
- an organization or individual retained by NORTHAM to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with the assignment of a right to receive payment, the provision of security or other financing arrangements;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of NORTHAM, is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- to our insurers and to regulatory agencies in connection with regulatory or other activities relating to the obligations of NORTHAM; or
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by NORTHAM, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, NORTHAM will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, NORTHAM employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Privacy and our Website
Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are known to NORTHAM as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected. E-Mail Communications - Occasionally, we may send marketing or promotional e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about the services of NORTHAM and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future marketing or promotional e-mails from NORTHAM.
Links - Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than NORTHAM, and NORTHAM has no responsibility for such third party websites.
Northam Realty Advisors Limited
2 Carlton Street, Suite 909
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3
Tel: (416) 977-7151
Fax: (416) 977-5698